NCERT Solutions for Class 9th Beehive (English)
Chapter Chapter 7. A Truly Beautiful Mind
Important Questions with Solution
Lesson 7. A Truly Beautiful Mind
Thinking About the Text
1. Here are some headings for paragraphs in the text. Write the number of paragraphs for each title against the heading.
(i) Einstein meet his future wife.
(ii) Einstein’s equation.
(iii) The making of a violinist.
(iv) Mileva and Einstein’s mother.
(v) A letter that launched the arms race.
(vi) A desk drawer full of ideas.
(vii) Marriage and divorce.
Ans. (i) 9, (ii) 7,(iii) 3,(iv) 10,(v) 15,(vi) 8,(vii)11.
2. Who had these opinions about Einstein?
(i) He was boring. Ans. (i) Einstein’s playmates said he was boring.
(ii) He was stupid and would never succeed in life.
Ans. (ii) A headmaster said the words to Einstein s father about Einstein.
(iii) He was a freak.
Ans. (iii) Einstein, smother thought he was a freak.
3. Explain what the reason for the following are -
(i) Einstein leaving the School in Munich for good.
Ans. Einstein was a good student . But he did not like the strict discipline in 5the School at Munich He often had confrontation with his teachers so he decided to leave the School in Munich for ever.
(ii) Einstein leaving to study in Switzerland rather than in Munich.
Ans. Einstein wanted to study in Switzerland because it was more liberal than Munich.
(iii) Einstein seeing in Mileva an ally.
Ans. Einstein opposed the uncultured people both at home and at
Home and at the university He found that MILEVA had similar views.
(iv) what do these tell you about Einstein?
Ans. (iv) All these 4 things shows that Einstein was a liberal and cultured Person .He loved freedom He did not like orthodox views.
4. What did Einstein call his desk drawer at the patent office ? why ?
Ans. Einstein jokingly called his desk drawer the bureau of theoretical physics. He called it so because he was using it to develop his own theories of relativity.
5. Why did Einstien write a letter to Frankline Roosevelt?
Ans. In Germany the Nazis had come to power. The Scientists there discovered nuclear fission. The Nazis could use this discovery to make atom bomb. Einstein wrote a letter to President of America Franklin Roosevelt to apprise him of the extent of the destruction this bomb could cause.
6. How did Einstein react to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Ans. Einstein was deeply shocked when America dropped atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He wished that discoveries of science must not be used For destruction. He wrote an open letter to the United Nations against such use. He suggested the formation of a world government,
7. why does world remember Einstein as a world citizen ?
Ans. Einstein agitated for the end of arms build up .He campaigned for world peace and democracy .He worked not for any one nation but for humanity. He belonged to the whole world That is why the world remembers him as a world Citizen
8. Here are some facts from Einstein's life. Arrange them in chronological order.
[ ] Einstein publishes his special theory of relativity.
[ ] He is awarded the Nobel Prize in physics.
[ ] Einstein writes a letter to U .S President. Franklin D. Roosevelt. and warns against Germany ,s building of an atomic bomb.
[ ] Einstein attends a high School in Munich.
[ ] Einstein , s family moves to Milan.
[ ] Einstein is born in the German city of Ulm.
[ ] Einstein joins a university in Zurich. Where he meets Mileva.
[ ] Einstein dies.
[ ] He provides a new interpretation of gravity.
[ ] Tired of the School ,s regimentation, Einstein withdraws from School.
[ ] He works in a patent office as a technical expert.
[ ] when Hitler co0mes to power. Einstein leaves Germany for the United States.
Ans. (i)Einstein is born in the German city of Ulm.
(ii) Einstein attends a high School in Milan.
(iii) Einstein ,s family move to Milan.
(iv) Tired of the SCHOOL,s regimentation, Einstein withdraws from School.
(v) Einstein joins a university in Zurich. Where he MEETS Mileva .
(vi) He works in a patent office as a technical expert.
(vii) Einstein publishes his special theory of relativity.
(viii) He provides a new interpretation of the centre of gravitation.
(ix) He is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics.
(x) When Hitler comes to power ,Einstein leaves Germany for the United States.
(xi) Einstein writes a letter to US President Franklin D Roosevelt and warns
Against Germany ,s building an atomic bomb.
(xii) Einstein dies .
Thinking About Language.
Q1. Here are some sentences from the story. the Choose the word from The brackets which can be substituted for italicized words in the sentence.
(i) A few years later the marriage faltered. (failed broke became weak )
(ii) Einstein was constantly at odds with people at the university (on bad terms in Disagree MENT unhappy).
(iii) The newspapers proclaimed his work as a scientific revolution (declared, Praised , showed)
(iv) Einstein got ever more nivolved in politics, agitating for an end to the arms Buildup. (cam Paigning, fighting Supporting)
(v) At the age of 15 Einstein felt so stifled that he left the School for good. (permanently for his benefit for a short time)
(vi) Five years later the discovery of nuclear fission in Berlin had American Physicists in an uproar. (in a state of commotion full of criticism in a Desperate state)
(vii) science WASN t the only thing that appealed to the dashing young man with the walrus moustache, (interested challenged worried)
Ans. (i) faltered = became weak
(ii) at odds = in disagreement
(iii) proclaimed = declared
(iv)agitating = campaigning
(v) for good = permanently
(vi) in an uproar = in a state of commotion
(vii) appealed to = interested
Q2. Study the following sentences
Einstein became a gifted amateur violinist maintaining this skill throughout his life.
Letters survive in which they put their affection into words mixing science with tenderness.
The parts in italics begin with in verbs and are called participial phrases . Participial phrases say something more. About the person or thing talked about or the idea expressed by the Sentence as a whole For example :
-Einstein became a gifted amateur violinist. He maintained this skill throughout his life.
Complete the sentences below by filling in the blanks with suitable participial clauses. The information that has to be used in the phrase Is provided as a sentence in brackets.
1. ……………..The Firefighters finally put out the fire (They worked round the clock.)
2. She watched the sunset above the mountain,……………. (She noticed the colours blending.)
3. The excited horse pawed the ground rapidly ,…………… (While neighed Continually.)
4. ……………. I found myself in Bangalore instead of Benaras (I had taken the wrong train )
5. ……………I was desperate to get to the bathroom. (I had not bathed for two days
6. The stone steps , …………… needed to be replaced. (they were worn down)
7. The actor received hundreds of letters from his fans ,………….. (They asked him to send them his photograph.)
Ans. 1. working around the clock, the firefighters finally put out the fire.
2. She watched the sunset above the mountain, noticing the colors blending softly into one another.
3. The excited horse pawed the ground rapidly neighing continually.
4. Taking the wrong train I found myself in Bangalore instead of banaras.
Having taken the wrong train I found myself in Bangalore instead of banaras.
5. Note having bathed for two days. I was desperate to the bathroom.
6. The stone steps being worn, needed to be replaced.
7. The actor received hundreds of letters from his fans asking him to send them his photo- graph.