NCERT Solutions for Class 8th Science
Chapter 4. Materials : Metals And Non-Metals
Text Book Exercise
Q1. Which of the following can be beaten into thin sheets?
(a) Zinc (b) Phosphorus
(c) Sulphur (d) Oxygen
Answer: (a) Zinc
Q2. Which of the following statements is correct?
(a) All metals are ductile.
(b) All non-metals are ductile.
(c) Generally, metals are ductile.
(d) Some non-metals are ductile.
Answer: (c) Generally, metals are ductile.
Q3. Fill in the blanks :
(a) Phosphorus is very....... non-metal.
(b) Metals are.......... conductors of heat and .
(c) Iron........... is reactive than copper.
(d) Metals react with acids to produce......... gas.
Answer: (I) reactive
(II) good, electricity
Q4. Mark ‘T’ if the statement is true and ‘F’ if it is false.
(a) Generally, non-metals react with acids. ( )
(b) Sodium is a very reactive metal. ( )
(c) Copper displaces zinc from zinc sulphate solution. ( )
(d) Coal can be drawn into wires. ( )
Answer: (a) (F), (b) (T), (c) (F), (d) (F).
Q5. Some properties are listed in the following Table. Distinguish between metals and non-metals on the basis of these properties.
1. They are lustrous.
2. They are hard.
3. They can be beaten into thin sheets.
4. They can be drawn into wires.
5. They are good conductors of heat.
6. They are also good conductors of electricity.
1. They are dull.
2. They are soft.
3. They cannot be drawn into thin sheets.
4. They cannot be drawn into wires.
5. They are poor conductors of heat.
6. They are also poor conductors of electricity.