NCERT Solutions for Class 6th Science
Chapter 3. FIBRE TO FABRIC
- Fabric – Fabric is made from yarns using clothing material like cotton, silk, wool and polyester.
- Spinning - The process of making yarn from fibres is called spinning.
- Yarns are made up of fibres.
- Silk fibre is drawn from the cocoon of silkworm.
- Wool is obtained from the fleece of sheep or goat. It is also obtained from the hair of rabbits, yak and camels.
- Cotton plants are usually grown at places having black soil and warm climate.
- Cotton from cotton bolls is usually picked by hand.
- Fibres are separated from the seeds by combing. This process is called ginning of cotton.
- A simple device used for spinning is a hand spindle, also called takli.
- Another hand operated device used for spinning is charkha.
- The process of arranging two sets of yarns together to make a fabric is called weaving.
- Knitting is done by hand and also on machines.
- Fabrics are used for a variety of clothing items.